Tuesday 26 October 2010

Boggart Hole Clough

First race of the year for me and I knew this was going to hurt. By now everyone else was well into the race season and I was sure they would be flying.

A massive field turned out in lovely, if cold weather. They decided to run the start around the field twice in order to spread things out a bit. The start was manic, it happened so quickly or was that I because I wasn't used to racing? I fought to be fairly high up in the group without going into the red. I was unsure how well I would go today and was off the pace on the tarmac, but held my own in the dirt. I caught sight of Alan rolling around in the dirt looking very dazed, his bike on the opposite side of the track and that was a reminder of what can happen. I must be careful... I got 17 shouted out to me, pretty good for my first race although I was sure I was going to fade. Just see how I am up the long climb....

BANG....! I hit the floor.  It took me a bit to work it out, but my pedal had come off, stripping the thread out of the cranks. After working out what had happened, there was nothing else but to walk round the lap and retire. Gutted, although it was fun to actually watch an inspiring win by Nick Craig. Alan was sore but ok, he rolled a tub but would fight another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment